Thursday, May 9, 2013

DIY No-Sew Birthday Bunting

Norah turned one on March 19. That following weekend we had her big birthday bash. Many of her family and friends turned out for the occasion and I did most of the decorating DIY style (exception: tablecloths, balloons, birthday hat) because I love when our parties are unique.

The theme of the party, as you may remember from the invitation, was "Under the Sea/Octopus" with hot pink, purple and blue as accent colors.

I saw a tutorial for no-sew bunting and knew this was right up my alley. You can check out all the details at The Eclectic Owl, but this is the basic idea:


  1. Cut out triangles as the base of the bunting.
  2. Cut circles to house each letter - make sure they fit inside the triangles!
  3. Choose your favorite font - in my case I used Sailor since that was one of the fonts I used on the invitations - and print letters large enough so they will sit perfectly inside the circles you just cut in Step 2.
  4. Trace the letters onto the felt and cut out.
  5. Glue the letters onto the circles and then circles onto the triangles.
  6. Attach each completed letter/circle/triangle set to the ribbon you will use to hang the bunting.
  7. Let dry for about 10 minutes and hang.

A close up of one of the letters

Pretty simple, huh?

I was running behind schedule and I didn't do the glueing until 10 minutes before people arrived, but the no-sew technique made it quick and easy.

If you are interested in sewing a more durable bunting that you can re-use, try this tutorial at Penny Carnival.

Happy (no) sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment